Today, I will share with you the experience of eating a vegan dish. It’s aromatic and really good to go with rice. If you like potatoes and you like Chinese food, you’ll love these dry-pot potatoes.
1 onion, sliced.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dry chili (or fresh chili, optional)
3 potatoes, sliced around 0.5 cm
1 Paprika, cut to bite size
1 spring onion, chopped
Prepare the sauce in a bowl:
1 tbsp spicy chili bean paste (Doubanjiang)
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or water)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce (or ketchup)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns (or ground cumin, optional)
1 tsp vegetable powder
Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, about 4-5 minutes, then drained them.
- Heat the pan in medium heat, add a bit of cooking oil, sauté onions, add a bit of salt, cook it for about 2 minutes. Move the onions to a plate.
- Add a little bit more oil to the pan, throw in the ginger, garlic and chili (optional)
- Add in the pre-boiled potatoes and paprika. Pour in the prepared sauce and toss well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the potatoes have soaked up the sauce.
- Add in the spring onion.
- Sprinkle it with ground Sichuan peppercorns (optional), and/or ground cumin (optional).
- Drizzle with sesame oil.
- Move it to cover the pre-cooked onion
- Serve with chopped cilantro (optional) and/or sesame seed (optional)
- The cooking process is quick, so ‘mise en place’ (french) – getting all ingredients ready before cooking.
- Before stir-fry, cook rice (best use the rice cooker), so the rice is ready when the dish is done.
- After the potatoes are sliced, they should be quickly placed in water to prevent blackening and oxidation.
- Originally the potato should be fried not boiled, but it’s too greasy for me, I prefer boiled.
- You can substitute potatoes with cauliflower. Cauliflower tastes delicious with this style too.
You’ll also need to pre-boil it.
- You don’t have to put Sichuan peppercorns or cumin. I put them because I like their aroma and numbing sensation.
For more of my recipes, please check TITIEN’S KITCHEN.